Saturday, August 14, 2010

Notes from the Dressing Room- J Crew Fall Edition

Although I usually get caught up in all of the back-to-school excitement (for clothing purposes at this non-school age of my life) and the wonderful new season arrivals, I have been keeping out of the stores. I've been perfectly content with browsing the September issue magazines and online images, but the catalogs I've received in the mail have me wanting to check out the racks. I decided to head out to J. Crew after work one day last week and try on a few things.
Beaded Stamp Tee, White, $39.50

I had such high hopes for this skirt because I cannot resist a ruffle, but this was not the skirt for me. I have to know who this skirt is designed for? If I, at 5'4, am a wardrobe malfunction away from flashing the world if I choose to put on some scandalous (or even no) underwear, then I can't imagine what the situation would be for a taller gal. Maybe the super shorties can get away with this.

On another note, the fabric is substantial for the fall weather and I love the plaid print. I think it looks great from the front and doesn't add too much width, but there is poof in the back that says another story. Sigh, we could have had some good times skirt, but I'll have to pass.



Cascading Always Cardigan, Black, $49.50

Glen Plaid Minnie Pant, Black, $118


Umm, I can't resist a cropped pant although I probably should go for regular length pants. I continued my plaid theme with these babies and although I love the print, they weren't special enough to say I'll take them.

I'm generally opposed to open cardigans. Comfy and flowy is good, bulky and baggy is not and that's what most open cardigans do to my figure. Until relatively recent, I haven't been much of a belt person. But with a good number of belts in my wardrobe now, I can make an open cardigan work better. This one was soft, feminine and would be a perfect throw on piece in any wardrobe. However, it won't be in mine only because I would prefer that top ruffle to start a bit lower.

Disclaimer: Like America Ferrara knows, real women have curves and I would be one of them. I am not a small chick with washboard abs and you can definitely see that in these pictures I'm about to show. And that is not to say women with straighter figures and smaller lady humps aren't real. Variety is the spice of life and that makes us all great.



Haya Pullover Hoodie, Marled Charcoal, $65

Femme Camo Delancey Pant, Fatigue, $79.50





My boyfriend saw that first pic of me in the hoodie and immediately said "boobs", lol. Yes, this makes me look boobtacular and not in a found the world's best wonderbra kind of way. As much as I look for comfortable pieces that can be worn without the aide of an iron, I can't justify the purchase of this hoodie. It brings me back to my days of dressing as a high-school and college girl and that wasn't always the prettiest sight. I have the pictures of me in a Mickey Mouse sweatshirt to prove it.

J. Crew, what were you thinking with these pants??? I thought they might be something different to add to my wardrobe and different they were. I get that opposites can work in certain instances, but a ribbon trim around the elastic waistband was not the way to go. I thought it looked silly and didn't add the right amount of specialness to these pants. I also had an issue with the fit. It was true-to-size, but the loose fit didn't make it look contemporary. I was feeling kind of mom-ish even. I don't think I'm at the age where elastic waistbands and loose pants need to take up residence in my closet yet. These probably would have looked better in a skinny silhouette, minus the ribbon because a belt would have been a more fitting waist accoutrement.

P.S. I do not have an alien coming out of my belly, that is the belt poking out. In case you were wondering.



Stripe Pocket Tee, Warm Taupe, $39.50

Double-Serge Pencil Skirt, Bronzed Ochre, $118


Waxed Utility Jacket, Dark Elm, $148

Double Studded Belt, Vintage Black, $58


I've had my eye on this wool skirt since it rolled out as a new arrival and I mainly went to the store to test-drive how it would work for me. As the first picture shows, I'm not wearing the right size and this skirt falls below my knee. I would say this is something I need to size up in or wear a body-shaper with if I did go for this size (a bigger size gave more room, but not only in the waistband, but also in the hip and back area where it wasn't needed). I'm also looking for a new striped tee (currently own just one) and although I like this tee, I'm not feeling the pocket placed over an area that doesn't need extra attention. Would probably work better with a smaller-chested woman.

I decided to J. Crew style it up with this jacket and belt. I like this look, I might be a bit more adventurous in wearing things kind of how they show in the catalog. With the military trend all the rage these days, I feel like a green jacket is a must. I actually purchase one from Forever 21 weeks ago that I was so excited to wear this fall and then proceeded to lose it on my first day of vacation. I don't think I'll replace it with this one though only because I have an aversion to clothing that swish like track pants and I would prefer a deeper shade of army green. This would be a great fall jacket for someone else.



If you've made it to the end of my review, I appreciate your time and now I ask a big favor of you. The one item that I want to make an appearance in my closet is the double-serge pencil skirt. Although I love the bronzed ochre color, I have my eye on something different as I already have a skirt similar to that color. I'll have to order a petite size, so online ordering will have to be my method of purchase for this. Which color should I go for in this skirt?




Vintage Wisteria


or


Nordic Blue

5 comments:

  1. I say nordic blue, but I'm not much of a pink girl, lol.

    I like the camo pants, but not with the hoodie. Pairing them with something fitted on top and a heel would make them look modern and less sloppy (no offense).

    Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmmmm, I am so very torn, but I think the pink will compliment your fall color palette a little better than the nordic blue, which seems more like a spring/summer color.

    Now, on that ruffle skirt! Go for it!!! I think it will look great with some opaque tights...tights are the key to super short skirts, in my opinion...Lol!

    xoxo,
    Eboni Ife'

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the reviews. I loveeeeeeeee that last outfit. The skirt, shirt look great w/ your jacket. However, if you have to get a different color, I would go with life' and get the pink.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also vote for pink. There's something about the colors in the stripe pocket tee that make me think the pink would be the most smashing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. hmmmm, I am so very torn, but I think the pink will compliment your fall color palette a little better than the nordic blue, which seems more like a spring/summer color.

    Now, on that ruffle skirt! Go for it!!! I think it will look great with some opaque tights...tights are the key to super short skirts, in my opinion...Lol!

    xoxo,
    Eboni Ife'

    ReplyDelete

Leave your thoughts after the beep....beep. I love to hear from you!

Pin It button on image hover