Friday, April 8, 2011

Notes from the Dressing Room-Flowing in Madewell

I had the chance to spend a leisurely afternoon at the mall earlier this week and although shopping wasn't really on my mind, I had to make an exception for Madewell. Here is just a tiny sampling of some new and older items in the store.

Artisan Tee, $29.50, available here in numerous colors
Striped Drifter Short in Crockett, $69.50, available here
 I definitely don't need to add more tees to my collection of many, but Madewell's super soft tees make it kind of hard not to want to scoop all of their selection in a million colors. I would definitely recommend snagging one for yourself. Fits true to size to slightly big (size according to whether you want it more loose or fitted).

Who wears short shorts? These shorts have a nice stripe pattern, but given the price and style, I think this probably isn't worth full price. And I don't know if it is my imagination or not, but I feel like the crotch is too long. I think this is best left for a sale.


Silk Film School Blazer in Warm Mauve, on sale $129.99, available here
Blouse not available online, dress version available here
Maxi skirt not online, $98.00, Style #43335



Maxis are still a hot trend this year and I decided to add a maxi skirt to my summer wardrobe. This little gray number would totally fit the bill. It was wonderfuly flowy, fit well and best of all had pockets!! The only thing that makes me cringe is the thought of spending almost $100 on cotton. I'm sure this would be worth full price for some, but for such a simple piece, I think I should go to Forever 21 or someplace similar. I sized down in this skirt.

This silk blazer was nice and flattering, but I can't help but wonder how practical it would be. Cute, but not a must have. As far as the blouse is concerned, I love the print, but the sleeves are a bit too blousy and it is sheer.


Waterfall Top in Lavender Field , $95.00, available here
Shimmer Coaster Pants in Black Silver, on sale $69.99, limited sizes here



I am in love with this blouse! It is the softest shade of lavender and had such an ease to it. I can see it going with so many different items both dressy and even casual. I left it in the store though because it just made me feel a little to linebacker-ish. I wore this in my regular size, but you could definitely size down in this and most of the other blousy tops they have available.

I tried on several pairs of pants during this visit and liked all of them, including these. This is a linen/cotton blend, so expect some wrinkling, but they are soft and have a nice shimmer to it. These are designed to fit a bit baggy, so size down.



Paint Stroke Tank in Americana Red, $39.50, available in tons of colors here
Paperbag Trousers in Silvertone, $59.99, limited sizes here


I've had my eye on this tank for awhile, but hesistated on purchasing because it is made of linen. However, this wasn't an issue whatsoever and I thought it was soft without a hint of itchiness. It has an interesting print and I was excited to see that many other colors are available. I would give it a thumbs up, but consider sizing down as it is a loose fit.

These paperbag pants sound like they could be a recipe for disaster, but I think Madewell has done a good job of making sure the loose, baggy pants still have some level of shape to them, especially with a slimmer leg line. I recommend sizing down in these as well.


Silk Canyon Skirt, $158.00, sold out online, but call to locate (my store had plenty)

I'm still on the fence about this midi length, but thought I would see how it looked in this skirt. On a positive note, it has a wonderful flow to it that makes you want to do nothing but twirl in it and although it is long, all of the fabric isn't overwhelming. However, this is not the most flattering shade (at least for me) and this skirt's design is similar to J. Crew's Dorrie skirt. It buttons up the front and the waistband has no give to it. You might want to consider going up a size.


Artisan Tee in Heather Smokestack, $29.50, available here in numerous other colors
Slim Trolley Trousers, on sale $89.99, available in several colors here


This tee is the same as the first picture, just a different color. Thumbs up!

There a tons of ladies out there who love J. Crew's Minnie pant, but I never found that they worked for me. The cropped length, legging feel and super tight fit kept me away. These pants have a similar stretch, they feel like leggings, but look like a pair of pants. Plus the length is much better. I would defintiely recommend these as they are so comfortable and could be extremely versatile.

That wraps up this little dressing room review. I was naughty and walked out with a bag this trip and I can't wait to wear everything.

Do you have your eye on anything at Madewell?

6 comments:

  1. absolutely love the maxi with the floral shirt. i think it would also look great with the striped tank. im kinda in love with maxis right now :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. the long skirt is RAYON!!!! not cotton :) does that make you feel better??
    also you can wash it in cold water, hang to dry. even though it says dry clean only. my only problem with it is the waistband got all screwed up and folded inside so i can't fix it...but it's not a big deal - especially when i wear a belt with it.

    i love the midi-skirt, and convinced my friend sharon to get it last night :) i tried it, but my calves are too big for that length!! looks great on you though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing the reviews. Your legs look great! You can totally wear mini skirts and short shorts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @L- I'm having a small maxi moment too. You can't deny how easy the are to wear.

    @Grechen- I can't say rayon makes it better, lol. It feels the same as some work-out pants I have. Too bad you didn't have luck with the midi skirt, I can definitely see you in it.

    @Kimmie-Thanks!!! You know, it took me a long time to be accepting of my legs (always thought they were too skinny), but I've been enjoying skirts and shorts the past few years.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @L- I'm having a small maxi moment too. You can't deny how easy the are to wear.

    @Grechen- I can't say rayon makes it better, lol. It feels the same as some work-out pants I have. Too bad you didn't have luck with the midi skirt, I can definitely see you in it.

    @Kimmie-Thanks!!! You know, it took me a long time to be accepting of my legs (always thought they were too skinny), but I've been enjoying skirts and shorts the past few years.

    ReplyDelete
  6. absolutely love the maxi with the floral shirt. i think it would also look great with the striped tank. im kinda in love with maxis right now :-)

    ReplyDelete

Leave your thoughts after the beep....beep. I love to hear from you!

Pin It button on image hover